Ready to quit? The Thunder Bay District Health Unit provides support for smokers and other tobacco users who are ready to quit.
Health Canada states that smoking increases the risk of coronary heart disease, the most common condition of heart disease. Smokers are up to 4 times more likely to have a sudden cardiac death than are non-smokers. Quitting smoking will reduce your risk of coronary disease. Within a year, the risk is reduced by about half.
There are several resources available in Thunder Bay to help you quit smoking.
Take Control – Personal Tobacco-Free Counselling
The “Take Control” clinic is operated by TBDHU and is designed to help clients get the tools they need to quit tobacco use.
Through this clinic, clients will meet with a Tobacco Quit Nurse for free personal, confidential one-on-one counselling. During these sessions, we help clients create an individualized “quit plan” and offer support as needed during and after they quit to help them in their new tobacco-free life. Services are available to all residents of Thunder Bay District.
To set up an appointment, please call (807) 625-5900.
Smoking Treatment for Ontario Patients (STOP) Program
STOP on the Road is a program offered throughout Ontario and the TBDHU provides these workshops at regular intervals in the communities throughout the Thunder Bay District. It delivers smoking cessation treatment and counselling to eligible smokers who wish to quit smoking.
The research-based program helps improve quitting success by providing:
- A 2-3-hour educational workshop to provide coping tools
- A 5-week course of nicotine patches
Upcoming STOP on the Road Workshops
- Check back soon for the next Workshop!
To find out your eligibility for these workshops, to register for an upcoming workshop, or for more information, please call (807) 625-8340.
Non-Insured Health Benefits (NIHB) Coverage for First Nation and Inuit People
Creating a Quit Plan
- The Journey 2 Quit workbook will help you prepare and create a quit plan (Lung Association).
- Include these tips for quitting smoking in your plan (Centre for Addiction and Mental Health).
We can help, too. If you would like help to create your quit plan, book an appointment with the Take Control clinic.
Using Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) Products
- Several types of NRT are available to help you quit. The following videos show you how to use each. The videos are produced by the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health’s Training Enhancement in Applied Cessation Counselling and Health project (called TEACH).
Additional references can be found here: